Sunday, July 11, 2010

Elba Schoolhouse and 9/11


Recently I’ve updated my Mosaic Globe account and almost completely filled my five pages. Within the galleries there is a range of photography that I hope fairly well represents my interests. I’ve gotten a bit of feedback from friends requesting I place an explanation or elaboration with the photos. For that reason I’m taking many of those images and mounting them here, day by day, telling the story--if any--about that image. Here is the first in a series, I hope.

Driving home from the Kinsale area in the late afternoon I was struck by the raking light running across the little Elba Schoolhouse off in the field. Often I drive right by these kind of photo opportunities and kick myself later for missing the opportunity. This was not one of those times. The American flag was flying across the porch and this was the first time I’d ever seen it. Of course we were just a week or so beyond 9/11 and so there were many shows of American support and pride. This one, though, was so powerful and simple it really made me pause. Even without the story of the timing of this photo I find its stark simple lines and the wonderful age of the schoolhouse are quite an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment